Friday, March 16, 2007

A letter To American Soldiers

Dear Warrior,

I know we have never met, but that does not matter. I feel I know you as I have known my own family members. I did not know my grandfather, who fought in WWI and WWII very well, as I was young when I use to visit him. But I knew he fought the Germans and was in the army. I did not know what that meant and not even when I was in Basic Training in Ft Jackson SC in 1977. I did not understand what a warrior was or what great heroes they are. I caught pneumonia in basic and never graduated basic and was discharged on a medical. I still remember being young and immature and scared as a 17-year-old back then, and it would not be until the first Gulf War before I started to understand. This may seem odd but you are in harms way for that 17-year-old who could not serve even back then. Just as my Grandfather fought for a grandson he would not know for years down the road. I am so very grateful for both you and my grandfather. My grandfather died before I could fully understand this whole thing and say thanks to him. But, somehow, I am sure he is watching from on High with a tear in his eye and a smile on his face watching you read this. Because now I bring his love for me to you. And a great big Thank You. I love you soldier for your selfless sacrifice and your courage to fight to help us here at home and for those millions you stand with against the evil-doers over there. During the gulf war I began to gain a huge appreciation for those who stood on the line and fought for freedom. And on 911 I was deeply moved because I had 2 daughters in the U.S. Army in Basic training at Ft Jackson SC, one went in August, 2001 and the other September, 2001. They made me proud and even concerned, as I knew deployment would soon follow. I wrote them letters of encouragement when I could, and tried to show support, and tell them what was going on with the Anthrax and the news. By the time the smoke began to stop at Ground Zero they both had been discharged for medical problems like bone fractures in the shins and back problems. I was proud just the same. I still recall the chills up and down my spine hearing those chants and calls during her platoons turn at sounding off in one of the graduation ceremonies. Back in December I had my second grandchild a boy named Wyatt. The other daughter had a boy who is about 6 now, his name is Ron but they call him "little man". I want you to know you are not just any soldier, by yourself with no one back here to say they care. I know you like a son or daughter, one of the family. The family of America. Family of this American for sure, and just as proud of your efforts and your do-the-right-thing attitude. You see you stand on the line in the sand and say to the terrorist my countrymen at home are my family and you cannot cross to harm my country or my family. You brave the IED's so little Wyatt grows up in America free and without the fear of evil. You do your job there so my daughters can have freedom and do their jobs over here. You are a warrior facing down bad guys who would do us all here in America great harm if they could. So in my book you are my hero. And perhaps one day you will have a son or daughter, or even a grandchild for who you fight so they might have freedom, maybe one day to come, as for now they wait for your job to be done. Don't pay no attention to the traitorous News Outlets back here, or some of those cut-n-run politicians who are not worthy to polish your boots. Most Americans get it, and understand if given the tools and the support that victory is assured. Because you and your buddies are American Soldiers, the best, and we are behind you cheering you on. Removing Saddam was the right thing to do, and battling Iran insurgents in Iraq is the last best hope for freedom in that part of the world. I am very proud of you soldier! And if I could hold your weapon and guard you at night so you could get some rest I would in a heartbeat. Since 911 I have tried to post a flag wherever I have lived, with A light on it at night so that darkness never falls on Old Glory. And tomorrow I will tie a yellow ribbon around an old apple tree out front just for you. And feel free to use my Grandfather as yours too, his name was William Price Smith. Perhaps he will watch over you as you sleep at night, as an extra sentry to protect you and your buddies. In WWI they had a program to help support the troops during deployment, and my Grandmother, Helen, wrote my grandfather while they were at war, and later that is how they met and married. So you see your not just any soldier you have this Americans faith in you and your strength and honor. You have my greatest thanks that I can muster. And it is your service and sacrifice that the American people and I will forever be in debted to. A debt to a warrior I will always strive to be worthy of, who fights for truth, justice, and the American Way, this Super American Soldier. You!

Signed
An American

Americansoul1@hotmail.com

No comments: